The Greener by Design Difference
National Award Winning Designs.
Our work has been published in national magazines, and we have won multiple national awards in design and for safety.
All our staff members receive constant training and are degreed, certified, or in the process of getting certified by the International Certification Council.
Two Year Plant Warranty.
We select plant material based on several factors including the local environment ensuring that plantings are healthy. We back this up with a warranty unmatched by our competitors.
Ninety percent of our new work comes through referrals.
Commitment to Sustainability.
In addition to avoiding chemicals wherever possible, we use the most energy efficient equipment without compromising client value.
Soil culture is the basis of all health. All our work starts with soil testing, remediation as needed, and maintaining healthy soil culture through use of organics and compost tea.
We Are Also Eco Friendly!
Check out all the eco friendly aspects of our company.
- We recommend against and do not design using invasive plant species
- We use native plants in our designs whenever possible, and recommend them to our customers
- We use Integrated Pest Management
- We brew our own compost tea and apply it to organically fertilize lawns and planting beds for beneficial microbe development in soil. This is supported by a study at Harvard, explained in the New York Times, which supports this.
- We use organic fertilizers and we do not overapply
- We use oils instead of pesticides
- We cut grass to longer lengths in summer
- We apply nitrogen when we install mulch
- We use low emission mowers and blowers
- In the fall, we mulch fallen leaves into the lawn to replenish nutrients naturally, reducing costs and carbon impact of leaf removal
- We install rain gardens and the right kind of plantings for topography, plantings are informed by topography, water, and other natural features
- Our crews use public transportation to our city jobs and to the main office
- We pioneered green roof installations in New York City, since 2000
- We install low water drip irrigation systems
- We install low voltage lighting
- We route our trucks for maximum fuel efficiency, and use larger vehicles to supply smaller vehicles for less frequent large vehicle deliveries
- We use diesel trucks
- Oil from vehicles is reused as heating oil
- Office uses 30% recycled paper, we recycle glass, cans, plastic, paper, ink and toner cartridges
- We use natural light when possible, supplemented by fluorescent lighting
- We do 2 –sided copying when possible, especially in marketing materials
- We are converting to electronic filing to cut paper use
- We organize, participate in and lead Earth Day community service projects
- We educate in numerous venues about green roofs, soil culture, organic lawncare, eco-friendly business practices